Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Worst Promise Ever

So we did again make the Kimchi Soup and I did again forget to take pictures. I also made Gluten Free Matzo and Matzo ball soup. It was my second time making it and for some reason the recipe I used for the Matzo didn't work quite as well as before.

I have been trying to get my hands on Cybele Pascal's book from the Library again, but every time I look for it it's at another branch. A conspiracy I wonder!

We had a 'shrimp boil' of sorts by cooking shrimp and fish in a metal pan on the grill the other night. To which I added a roasted root vegetable medley. I have never roasted beets before, but we had some from our last CSA pick up a few weeks ago that I wanted to use so they wouldn't go bad. So I cut up six beets, ten short carrots (just slightly longer than my middle finger), a sweet potato, two Japanese yams, and a white potato, drizzled them will olive oil and sprinkled on pepper, garlic, and Bell's seasoning. I baked them in the oven at 375 deg F for 45 minutes. At about 35 minutes I drizzled them with more oil and mixed them around to make sure they baked evenly. The Japanese yams got dark spots on them as they oxidize almost immediately after peeling, so next time I think I would try to leave the peel on. But I wasn't sure how well I could scrub them.

This got me thinking and inspired me to get out into our 'garden.' Spring and summer are coming, I planted a head of garlic that was happily growing in the kitchen, an onion that we let sit too long (I don't know if it will make it, but I'm hoping), and spruced up our pepper plants. Our basil looks half dead and half ready to go wild so we will see what happens with that as well. I'm looking forward to finding some ways to use up the last of our Kimchi. After which I am going to experiment with making whole cabbage Kimchi. I couldn't do this before because our container wasn't the proper size to do so, but now we have a specific one.

I'm looking forward to coming up with some other things to do with spring and summer crops. I'm really hoping that by my birthday I'll be able to treat myself to an Excalibur Dehydrator and a Vitamix blender. Not that we honestly need more kitchen appliances (seriously, our kitchen is tiny) but I want these to make fruit jerky, smoothies, cashew cheese, and other raw food applications.

I have a theory that Summer in Florida is a good time for raw food. Simple, low heated foods that don't add to the insane heat of the scorching sun. But theories are just that!

Today marks the beginning of my work week, so it's likely the kitchen finesse will not be happening again until next weekend, but we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment